7 Tips for Getting the Best Invisalign Results
Not all Invisalign results are the same! You probably know someone who was super happy with their Invisalign results, and you probably know someone else who wasn’t very happy. Why do some people get amazing results while others struggle? Here are our Top 7 Tips for Achieving the Best Invisalign Results:
- Choose an Orthodontist with Lots of Experience with Invisalign. How can you know? It’s actually quite easy: Look for a status of at least Gold, Platinum, or Diamond on the Invisalign Doctor locator on the Invisalign website. These credentials are given to doctors who perform high volumes of Invisalign treatment. You will see an icon next to each doctor’s name indicating their experience level with Invisalign. It’s important that you choose an orthodontist for your treatment, not a general dentist, since orthodontists have 2-3 years of specialized training in orthodontics beyond what a dentist has. It’s also important that the orthodontist you choose pays a lot of attention to details of your treatment. Ask to see actual Invisalign before-and-after photos of cases that are similar to your own. Make sure you feel very comfortable with the doctor and treatment plan.
- Make sure your Invisalign attachments are always engaging the aligner when you put your aligner in. It’s helpful to push the aligner onto every tooth with firm pressure, or use “chewies” to bite the aligner into place so the edges of the teeth are fully seated in the aligner. If the aligner does not fully engage the Invisalign attachments, then the movement of the teeth may be compromised.
- Wear your Invisalign aligners as prescribed. This means 20-22 hours per day. When eating out with Invisalign, you’ll take out your aligners and place them in their case, which can be easily stored in a pocket or purse. The case is just slightly thicker than a cell phone, so it is easy to carry around.
- Remember to change aligners on time. You will change them every week, or sometimes every 2 weeks, at the direction of your orthodontist.
- Be sure to make it to your appointments. The orthodontist may make changes to your treatment plan, or perform adjustments to your aligners or teeth to ensure your teeth are moving as planned.
- Wear your elastics, if prescribed. If your bite needs correction, an experienced orthodontist will prescribe elastics (rubber bands) which you will wear along with your aligners for a period of time. The orthodontist will cause the aligners to be manufactured with tiny slits to allow you to attach the elastics to the aligners. You’ll take out the elastics when you remove your aligners, and replace them when re-inserting your aligners. The elastics are clear so they will be virtually invisible just like your Invisalign aligners.
- Whiten your teeth during your treatment for the most dramatic Invisalign results! Not only can you straighten your teeth with Invisalign, but unlike with braces, you can whiten your teeth at the same time as your orthodontic treatment. You can keep your teeth white with Invisalign by brushing routinely and getting dental cleanings every six months. To make your teeth whiter, ask your orthodontist about whitening gel (carbamide peroxide or hydrogen peroxide whitening gel) that can be inserted into the aligners and worn for a period of time.
At Cardall Orthodontics, we are experts at Invisalign treatment, as Dr. Cardall has been among the Top 1% of Invisalign providers in North America for the past 7 years. He currently maintains Platinum status as one of the top Invisalign doctors in Bakersfield, and is particularly skilled at achieving excellent results in difficult cases. If you’ve been told before that Invisalign won’t work for you, get a second opinion! Consultations are always free, and can be made by calling 661-515-1234 during normal business hours or booking directly online. We look forward to helping you achieve a more confident, healthy smile!